Recipe of the Month April 2004
Submitted by Christyne, Sherbrooke, Quebec, Canada
||When in a hurry, it is possible to blend the
mixture by hand; its texture will not be as smooth, but the bread will be just as good. |
- 2 [6 1/2-ounce / 184-mL] cans tuna fish, drained
- 2 eggs
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 potato, peeled and grated
- 1 cup [250 mL] milk
- 1/3 cup [80 mL] whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup [190 mL] grated Mozzarella cheese
- 1 tablespoon [15 mL] tarragon
- Preheat oven to 180 .
- Into a blender, mix together drained tuna fish, eggs, chopped celery, grated carrot, grated potato and milk, until smooth,
with just a few lumps.
- Spoon mixture into a large bowl.
- Using a wooden spoon, mix together whole wheat flour, grated Mozzarella cheese and tarragon into tuna fish/vegetables
- Evenly spoon mixture into a non-stick or sprayed with vegetal non-stick spray oven-safe mold.
- Bake into preheated oven for 40 to 50 minutes.
Recipe of the Month March 2004
Summitted by Lars Davis, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I created this recipe when wanting to fix something different for lunch. I stuffed this tuna salad
into a garden-ripened tomato. It was delicious! This would also make a wonderful tuna salad sandwich.
2 (6-ounce) cans solid white tuna, drained well
2 tablespoons minced red bell pepper
3 tablespoons minced red onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon capers, drained and minced
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro leaves or basil leaves
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup light mayonnaise
1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
1/4 teaspoon tabasco or to taste
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
In a medium bowl, break up tuna into flakes. Add red bell pepper, red onion, garlic, capers, and
cilantro or basil leaves; mix together. Blend in olive oil, lime juice, mayonnaise, balsamic vinegar, tabasco, tomatoes, salt,
and pepper. Refrigerate at least 1 hour to let flavors blend.
When ready to use, remove from refrigerator. Spread either on bread or stuff in a large tomato.
Makes 4 to 6 servings.
Tuna Salad - Nutritional Information
I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the below information. All information is intended
for your general knowledge only and is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You
should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new fitness regimen.
|tuna, solid pack with water
||2 (6-ounce) cans
|bell pepper, red
||2 to 3 tablespoons
Recipe makes 6 servings.
Per Serving - 9 fat grams, 93 calories, 3.6 WW points
Makes 4 sandwiches
4 slices bread, 8 thin slices
French bread, or 4 (8-inch) flour tortillas, cut diagonally into halves
1/4 cup reduced-calorie mayonnaise or
8 thin slices tomato
1 can (9 oz.) BUMBLE BEE Tuna, drained and flaked
1/2 cup chopped
3/4 cup cheddar cheese
bread if desired. Arrange pieces on a flat microwavable plate or tray. Spread with mayonnaise. Place 1 tomato slice on each
bread half. Top with tuna, onion and some alfalfa sprouts, dividing evenly. Sprinkle cheese over bread. Cover with waxed paper.
Microwave cook on High power for 2 to 4 minutes, or until sandwiches are heated through and cheese is melted, rotating dish
once during cooking. Serve topped with avocado slices. Garnish as desired. Prep Time: 15 minutes
Makes 6 servings
||(170 g/6 oz) Gold SealŪ Flaked Light Tuna, drained|
||(19 fl. Oz) kidney beans, rinsed & drained|
||10" flour tortillas|
||green onions, chopped|
||tomato, seeded & chopped|
||chopped green olives|
||chopped fresh coriander |
||grated cheddar cheese|
||grated Monterey Jack cheese|
||Jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely chopped
||sour cream, salsa, guacamole (optional) |
- In bowl, mash beans with hot salsa.
- Arrange tortillas in single layer on work surface. Divide bean mixture among tortillas, spreading evenly over each, leaving
1 cm (12") border on all edges.
- Sprinkle bean mixture with onions, tomato, olives, coriander, tuna, cheeses and jalapeno pepper.
- Fold each tortilla in half and press together to gently flatten.
- Arrange tortillas in single layer on baking sheets and broil for 6 to 8 minutes or until browned and crisped, turning
over halfway through cooking period. (Or place on BBQ and grill over medium-high heat until browned and crisp.)
- Serve with accompaniments such as sour cream, salsa or guacamole if desired.